Re: hardtop windows

To: Stu Brennan <stubrennan@mediaone.net>
Subject: Re: hardtop windows
From: "Steven L. Finberg" <w1gsl@MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 02:03:23 -0500
Yes I made several Alpine SV hard top rear lites in glass.  Actually
an old master glass craftsman did the real work.  They were cut from
Chevy Nova windshields.  Don't right off remember the years.

New glass is much easier to work with.   Junk yard windshields
have picked up some temper and pitting from being abraded inuse.
Found the yeild on cutting new glass much higher than uesd, and
with wholesale pricing on uninstalled windshields similar in $$.

The trick to cutting the safety glass is to scratch and "break"
the glass on each side then take some lighter fluid and pour it in the
crack.  Light it, it will cleanly burn thru the plastic layer.

This was years ago, had to stop when the old craftsman died :-(, none
of the other techs were interested in trying it....  Even the shop
has changed hands twice since then.

                        Steve F

Steve Finberg                        W1GSL                       w1gsl@mit.edu
PO Box 397082 MIT Br        Cambridge MA  02139-7082              617 258 3754

<I thought it was a windshield (same car), because there was something
<about avoiding one with the imbedded antenna that GM used at the time.
<Was it Steve Finberg?

<Stu