Re: Long Legs

To: Larry Paulick <larry.p@erols.com>
Subject: Re: Long Legs
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 20:40:51 -0500
At 07:05 PM 3/13/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>I am 6', with a 30" inseam, and my legs are really too long to be
>comfortable in the car.  When I sit, I have to splay my legs out,
>instead of a normal straight forward position of the legs.
>Larry

Larry,
        May I suggest trying to drive a Berkley?  A Berkley (British
of course) has 3 feet from seat back to firewall.  Seats are 3/4" foam
with vinal covering. I am only 5'9" and with my Berkley I drove with my
knees within 1 foot of my ears and the steering wheel rubbing
my belly.  After you drive a Berkley, a Tiger's space will feel
like a Mack truck's space.  The 1952 Berkley, (all fiberglass) was 8 feet
long, 4 feet wide, 2 foot tall (excluding windshield) and weighed
750 pounds.  Front wheel drive too.  1 1/2 turns lock to lock.
12" wheels about 3" wide. Absolute winner for every autocross in its class.
Looked like a baby Cobra long before Cobras came along.  I did put
a 427 in the Berkley long before Shelby thought about putting one
in a Cobra.  (My 427 was a 4 cylinder 27 Hp Crosley motor 9-)).

        I moved my Tiger's firewall back 6 to 7 inches to clear a
351C.  For a while the gas peddle was a pain ( literally ) because I
could not move back far enough.  I then modified the firewall again
near the bottom to allow more foot space while still clearing the
351C which has a 1 1/2" set back.  My seat is as far back as I can
get it.  It bumps into the sheet metal covering the front of the
leaf spring of the rear end.  If you find a seat that works well for
you, let us all know.

James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others