Re:Fuel Pump

To: rkegg@juno.com
Subject: Re:Fuel Pump
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 20:31:38 -0400
At 08:22 PM 4/10/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>I have a Mark 1-A, 289 with a 600 cfm carb. The fuel pump is choosing to
>work only some of the time, so I need to replace it. The car currently
>has a Holley aftermarket pump on it. I would like to replace it with the
>stock SU pump that the car originally came with. I am a little concerned
>that the stock pump may not be able to keep up with the demands of the 4
>barrel carb. What has been everyone's experience? What do you recommend?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Randy Kegg
        I went through 3 Holly Red pumps and another brand before
I solved my problem. The pumps would suddenly appear to stop and
then later they would work again ( or Not).  I had an inline fuel
filter between the tank and the pump.  The pump was mounted below
the trunk floor just  behind the rear end housing.  I changed the
filters several times and also opened up the cross over pipe a couple
of times looking for crud that might be blocking the fuel into the
filter and pump.  Also completely changed all wiring going to the pump.
        I added a fuel pressure gauge temporally while trouble
shooting the problem.  Almost every time I came to a certain intersection
on the way home from work, the fuel pressure would drop and the pump
would not make its typical loud pumping noise.  I finally switched
brands of pumps and had the same problem again.
        There apparently was black "paint" chips comming out of the fuel
tanks and blocking the fuel flow into the pump.  The pump(s) would
then fail.
        Finally solved the total problem by replacing my fuel tanks
with a Fuel Safe fuel cell.  My write up with pictures is on the
TigersUnited web site of Steve Laithem.
        Recommend that you get your tanks completely cleaned out inside
before you spring for more pumps.
James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others