Re: Engine Block I.D. needed

To: Frank Marrone <marrone@wco.com>
Subject: Re: Engine Block I.D. needed
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@SoCal.RR.com>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 10:12:14 -0700
Frank,

Thank you for the link, although they are wrong about the HiPo casting
numbers, at least the 289 CID versions.

> Steve,
> I thought we were talking about engine block differences.  At least I was.
> Frank Marrone

Although you may have been talking about the bare block casting, which
is not the same casting number, even though the bare casting may not
actually be different. And you CAN tell the difference by the casting
numbers, although unless everything else is there, it still may not be a
complete HiPo.

As for as what "we" were talking about, I was answering Tom Witt's query
on whether  he had a true HiPo 289 with a C40E-6015C ID on the block,
behind the starter. He did not appear to just want information about the
block "design", but about whether he had a HiPo engine! So I advised him
about the block (NOT) and where else he can look for differences.

> "can anyone tell me what I have. I'm more curious than I am
> hoping so don't feel you might be the bearer of bad news.
> Thanks, Tom Witt

My referral to the Ford ID's of C3OE-B, C4OE-B 5 bolt, and C5AE-E 6 bolt
were taken directly from Tom Monroe's "how to rebuild your SMALL-BLOCK
FORD" (HPBooks). I believe your web site information is inaccurate in
that regard.

He has a "C4OE-C", which is a standard 5 bolt 289.

Thanks again for the reference, as there are very good pictures there.

Steve

--
Steve Laifman        < Find out what is most    >
B9472289              < important in your life     >

                          _/
                     _/_/_/