Re: Tribute to McLeod

To: Windsor Owens <wowens@sirius.com>
Subject: Re: Tribute to McLeod
From: twojohnsons@home.com
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 09:44:33 -0400
Windsor---a great nom-de-plume for a Tiger owner(except for Jim Barrett)
Here's my long-ago tale of woe. I recall that Tiger was hell on clutches when it
had the 288 gears. Starting in that tall first was like starting in second. More
dumb engineering choices by Rootes. So like many enthusiastic drivers, I burned
out several clutches. I even tried a Boss 302 clutch & PP, & that didn't last
either. I'd also almost forgotten  about the time I foolishly tried to pull some
shrub roots up with a chain attached to my Tiger.
Finally, I bought a McLeod clutch & pressure plate direct from the factory, & it
failed quickly too. When I called to complain, the "special applications
guy"---Dennis Bress, I think, chewed me out for ordering a Ford clutch &
pressure plate---it had to be specifically set up for Tiger. But I shipped the
failed unit back, & he kindly rebuilt the failed Ford piece to Tiger specs for
me, & it still soldiers on, many years & many abusive starts later.
So if I were you, I would get the McLeod unit---the one for Tiger, not the one
for Ford.
Al J.