Re: Tribute to McLeod

To: twojohnsons@home.com
Subject: Re: Tribute to McLeod
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@SoCal.RR.com>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 08:42:14 -0700
Al,

I found the cure for the burning clutch issue and that tall low gear,
and it isn't the 2.88's, it's the close ratio gear set choice. The wide
ratio set of the Mk II (and other Ford products) slip right in our cases
and cure most Tiger ills, including a too-tall first.  Now, if I were
racing on a road circuit, and was only in first gear to start (poorly),
I'd probably like the close ratio. But I am not, and that first 60 mph
gear is ridiculous. The clutch start load is significantly less, and a
LOT faster. Have to watch burning rubber in the lower gears with a
mostly stock engine.

As far as a "Tiger" clutch is concerned, I was not aware that Ford (or
Rootes) provided anything other than standard selected Ford parts.  In
the case of the Tiger, and US products using the early engines, the LONG
clutch is the original design of choice.

I agree the original LONG clutch it is better than other alternatives
(other than the special units mentioned), and may be harder to locate,
but I do not think it was Tiger peculiar. McCleod, and the Ford
Motorsport weighted diaphragm clutches are also good.

Steve
--
Steve Laifman        < Find out what is most    >
B9472289              < important in your life     >

                          _/
                     _/_/_/