re: tiger clutch, longish

To: "List Tiger" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: re: tiger clutch, longish
From: "The Charltons" <charlton@flash.net>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 14:37:48 -0500
I love my Centerforce Gold clutch.  It's mounted behind a breathed-on 289
with around 200 hp at the rear wheels, so perhaps 260-270 at the clutch.
It's certainly easy on the left leg and high rpm shifting is not a problem
(I've shifted at 7500 rpm before, if I can believe my tach).  It seems to be
holding up great although I probably only have 15,000 miles on it. The
previous owner did a little drag racing with it during the first 5000 miles
or so.  It certainly didn't complain when I got the Toploader stuck in 4th
gear and to motor through 15 minutes of stop and go traffic (with a 3.07:1
axle, this took lots of clutch slipping!)
Duncan
B9473116

>(snip)
>    Which brings me to the clutch, the point of this longwinded monologue.
I'm replacing the clutch/pressure plate/throw-out bearing, and >want to know
what I should put in there.  My 289 will hopefully be in the neighborhood of
300 ponies, with a healthy boost in torque (from >stock) as well.  I noticed
Rick @ S.S. has a McLeod package, is this a good product?  I've heard that
the centerforce is just as good, but has a >lighter action clutch.  I'll be
driving the car on the street, with occasional track days and spirited
rallys.  First and foremost, I want the clutch >to hold up, even if it is
tough on my left leg.