Re: FW: Pumps 101

To: SJC Worldwide <ssage@socal.rr.com>,
Subject: Re: FW: Pumps 101
From: johnc@nait.ab.ca
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 08:45:23 -0600
Hi:
The SU pump usually fails with the points stuck closed. When you shut the
key off you get one click from the pump when the solenoid drops from lack
of electrical current. I read somewhere once that a chap made it home by
wiring a push button into the fuel pump circuit with a length of wire
running into the cockpit. By continually pressing the button off and on he
managed to keep the car running and make it home. Perhaps there is a market
for an "Emergency SU Kit" just like the emergency booster bypass hose most
of us carry.

If you live in Canada Canadian Tire sells a fuel pump that looks almost
identical to an SU except that it is all aluminium. It has a digital
circuit instead of points and the deluxe model has a small fuel pressure
regulator on the output end. It behaves just like an SU and sounds exactly
the same. I have used them for years on everything from MGBs to the TIGER.
Godspeed
Jc