Re: A help request from any list members in the Denver area.

To: "Steve Laifman" <SLaifman@SoCal.RR.com>
Subject: Re: A help request from any list members in the Denver area.
From: "Kathy and Erich Coiner" <kathy.coiner@gte.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 15:47:54 -0700
See below.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Laifman" <SLaifman@SoCal.RR.com>
To: "Kathy and Erich Coiner" <kathy.coiner@gte.net>
Cc: "Tiger's Den" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Sent: Sunday, July 29, 2001 2:32 PM

> Kathy and Erich Coiner wrote:
> >
> > Elsewhere he notes that the access hatch for the Alpine battery/Tiger
fuel
> > pump was not required and thus never punched out.  It would seem that
> > removing that hatch with no signs of welding/patching would be very
> > difficult to do.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Erich   Tigerless, but trying to fix that
>
> Erich,
>
> There IS an access hatch on the Tiger. That is where the fuel pump can
> be reached. BUT, there is no battery box welded around the access hole,
> which has a ledge, but does not have the remains of a welded battery
> box. The underside of this opening, on the rear parcel shelf, under the
> upholstery cover, should be smooth.

>From my reading on Norms site, the above is true of Mk1 and Mk1a tigers. His
site says the fuel pump for a Mk II is in the trunk and there is no access
panel behind the seat.

BUT, this can be faked. Getting
> someone who knows what to look for on a Tiger, vs an Alpine is
> recommended. The VIN number, under the hood, on the hood catch deck part
> of the firewall, should have the numbers: B382100XXX for a Mk II, and a
> JAL tag JAL 700XXX. Of course a counterfeiter knows this too, and blank
> illegal tags have been sold.
A comforting thought that I suspected was true.

> Having a car that has been certified by the Tiger Authentication
> Committee (TAC) would help, and the owner would have all the papers and
> the passenger compartment tag that can be checked in Norman Miller's
> TIROST web site. http://www.rootes1.com/index.asp,
> and he may have information on a specific VIN number.
>
> This is the rarest Tiger (500) made, and is valued as such. Making every
> effort to get a real Tiger, a real Tiger Mk II, and one in good
> condition are essential.
On this we are in complete agreement. The devil is always in the details of
how to accomplish these goals.  I hope I am not annoying any listers with
endless questions, but they are all just my effort to get a genuine article.

> CATO, Colorado Association Of Tiger Owners may have some help. Dave
> McDermott <mcdermd@stripe.colorado.edu> 303-771-2526 was our last listed
> president, and Bill Pass, Golden Colorado, <billp@usgoldmining.comt> was
> the last listed Membership chairman. You might try them for guidance.

Thanks for the leads, I will follow up on them.

> Go to http://www.TigersUnited.com for a lot of Tiger information and
> contacts, and visit our Forum (hot link in top black bar) for a look at
> organized Tiger info that we just introduced.

I have been going thru this site at least 3 or 4 times a week recently.
I am finding a lot of good info, and even more tantalizing tidbits that make
me yearn for more :).

I have clicked on your classified ad link and I always get an error.

Erich