Time This

Subject: Time This
From: SJC Worldwide <ssage@socal.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2001 18:23:46 -0700
I just installed a new big MSD distributor cap and rotor (specifically
designed for electronic ignitions) which several people on the list
suggested might save me from getting electrocuted again. It looks cool,
but I hope it helps too. I'll report the results to the list (or Jane
will if I really get "cooked"). Thanks again for all the help in
tackling my shocking situation.

For my next trick, I'm going to finally set my timing advance properly,
since I'm getting some serious pinging under full acceleration (or I
wonder if that "piston/pinging" noise under "full load" might have been
caused by crossfiring from using my now ex-points dist. cap with my
electronic 50,000 volt ignition). I'm going to take the car out for a
run tonight to see if it still does it with the new MSD cap. It's very
interesting that I seem to definitely be getting more pinging now that
all the gas here in southern California is 91 octane, tops. I wonder if
the actual octane rating is now even less than that. However, I've run
into a problem I'm hoping someone has some ideas about.

With my A/C installation, I have an alternator installed on the drivers
side of the front of my 289  (where the oil filter used to be). There is
very little space to look down over the alternator to attempt to see the
timing pointer on the timing cover, which I can't see at all. It appears
to be blocked by the alternator. I can clearly see the BTDC numbers on
the hi-po damper, so no problem there. Is there any other point of
reference (one of the water pump bolts, maybe?) that can be used to
point my timing light at?

Thanks, as usual, in advance.

Steve Sage
1967 MK1A (289)