Re: I give up

To: sosnaenergyconsulting@home.com
Subject: Re: I give up
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@SoCal.RR.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 13:49:31 -0700
sosnaenergyconsulting@home.com wrote:

> I'm kind of new to the list, but I was wondering: is there any reason
> not to go to the '80's stock electronic distributor and ignition module?
> I guess the blue cap doesn't look stock, is that it?
> It seems like it would be a "bolt on" solution, and if it fits an '80's
> 302, it seems like it would transfer to a 260 or a 289.
> Am I missing something here?
>
> Regards
>
> David Sosna

David,

Yes, you ARE missing something, and this is not "new" news, but news of
a settlement in a case that has been running for years. And mine failed
on a Mustang II!!

The New York Times
Monday, august 13, 2001

"FORD TO REPLACE DEFECTIVE PARTS IN SETTLEMENT

The Ford Motor Co. has reached a preliminary agreement to settle
lawsuits in five states by paying to replace defective ignition systems
in millions of cars that, many owners said, could stall, often on
highways, across railroad tracks, and in other dangerous situations.

<snip>

Last year, the judge accused the company of an enormous cover-up by
concealing the design defect from regulators and consumers. An estimated
22 million cars contained the faulty ignition system, and as many as 15
million are believed to still be on the road. Most were produced between
1983 and 1995. ......."

In my case, on the 302 V8 Mustang II, the inner fender wall mounted
electronic module (brick) became hot, from it's own generated heat, it
would cease working. I was going 70 mph on the San Diego Freeway at 10
pm, coming home from the airport, when the motor just stopped. I cut
across light traffic to the upcoming off-ramp, and made it to a gas
station (closed of course), where I could call the Auto Club. It was not
a hot day, nor did the engine run hot. After about a 45 minute wait, I
tried again, and it started. So I went home and replaced the module for
about $50, and got the "Heavy Duty" module.  Thought it was just another
random failure.

Tales of life in the Fast Lane.

Steve

--
Steve Laifman        < Find out what is most    >
B9472289              < important in your life     >

                          _/
                     _/_/_/