Steering Wheel poisition

To: Larry Wright <LWright@impactofficepro.com>
Subject: Steering Wheel poisition
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@SoCal.RR.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 09:03:41 -0700
Larry Wright wrote:

>  As for the telescoping
> feature, does anyone use this? I have long legs and short arms, so if
> _anyone_ might have the wheel in any position other than shoved all the
> way forward, you'd think it would be me. Nope; set the wheel once and
> that's it (don't ask about how many times the whole steering column has
> been out of the car).
>
> Larry Wright

Larry,

This is an old issue, dating back to pre-power steering days, when
Trucks, Busses, and many cars had more "horizontal" steering wheels, and
sports cars had nearly vertical steering wheels.

This, combined with light cars and quick steering, did not require the
shoulder muscle the others did. They did not require the degree of
rotation, either.

So a typical sports car would have it's adjustable wheel shoved to a
position where the arms were slightly bent, for leverage, and the wheel
was not crammed in your belly.

The Tiger is by no means an "easy" steer at low parking speeds, but is
very quick and easy in motion. Rapid corrections in corners are more
easily made without banging bent elbows into objects.

I place mine as far forward as I can, without having my knees (long
legs) hit the wheel, or make me drive with my legs apart on either side.

Interestingly, the Morgan had non-adjustable wheels, or seat position.
You could let some air out of the whoopee cushion air bag seat, but
you'd bump your behind when it bottomed.

Old man Morgan, when a customer complained, said "If you don't fit a
Morgan, don't buy one!"

--
Steve Laifman        < Find out what is most    >
B9472289              < important in your life     >

                          _/
                     _/_/_/