RE: Strange tire problem

To: <BlueGolfer@aol.com>, "Tigers Den" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Strange tire problem
From: "Bob Palmer" <rpalmer@ucsd.edu>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2001 22:51:55 -0700
Rob,

OK Rob, I guess we can rule out tires as the cause. However, I still think
we can blame it on the tire. I actually have some experience making tires;
spent almost a year in Akron working at Firestone, so I know quite a bit
about tread separation. ;-) One cause is undercuring of the rubber. Several
decades back, Firestone had a problem with this and had to pay out big $$$.
(Dare I mention Mark Donohue's death and Firestone tires in the same
paragraph?) You would think they would have learned a lesson. If you want to
cash in big, roll your Tiger off a cliff and call a lawyer. You can blame
the "accident" on the tire, claim vague symptoms, and retire on the
settlement. If you aren't feeling that litigious, then maybe you should
contact Goodrich and explain the situation. Considering the grief that
Firestone is getting right now, I'm sure they will be very happy to replace
all four tires. BTW, make sure they are "Z" rated and have a "A" temperature
rating. Probably when yours let go, it was doing the equivalent of 150 mph
on an Arizona freeway.

Bob