RE: Strange tire problem

To: <BlueGolfer@aol.com>, <SLaifman@socal.rr.com>
Subject: RE: Strange tire problem
From: "Bob Palmer" <rpalmer@ucsd.edu>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 08:38:46 -0700
Rob,

It sounds like the tire, or at least part of it, may have rotated some on
the rim and sort of "bunched up" and the excess made the bulge. On the other
hand, this is hard to believe since the bead section of a tire usually has a
lot of steel in it. I would check to see how stiff the bead section is on
this tire; it may be defective or just a weak design. How much tire pressure
did it have? Drag racers put screws through the tire into the rim to prevent
the tire at low pressure, from slipping on the rim. This shouldn't be a
problem with 30+ psi.