Re: Cool It

To: Scott Minton <sminton2000@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Cool It
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@SoCal.RR.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 14:56:06 -0700
Scott,

The pusher fan listed in my mini-article in the Forum is one of the
best. Most CFM for the least size and amps.

BUT, it is only an assist for a well designed mechanical shrouded fan,
that uses a hell of a lot more power to move air than the electric, and
moves more of it.

Running without a shroud is practically worthless. Your fan diameter is
limited by the steering rack. Make sure you have the original type
factory washers between the motor mount and the block, to raise the
engine to it's proper height. Lots of mount replacers have them on the
garage floor as they don't know what they are when they fell off.

You have already had comments about how much of the fan is actually
submerged. A flex fan is another piece of useless hardware. The pitch of
the blades puts the leading edge of the fan within 3/16ths of the rear
of the radiator. (more or less - it's close.)  I always slide some thick
corrugated cardboard on the radiator back-side, when removing or
replacing, to avoid damage. It's that close. You should NOT be able to
unbolt the fan without removing shroud and radiator for access, or
things are in the wrong place.

Rootes did NOT go to all the trouble of using Ford's shortest pump, and
then reversing the pulley hub to get the mounting surface even closer to
the motor, and enlarging the stock fan pulley to a 1 inch center hole,
then get strange motor and generator pulleys for nothing. They did it
strictly for fan depth design and radiator clearance.

There are lots of guys who really like aluminum radiators, and most are
much too wide for the stock shroud, so there may be more available than
you think.

Post a "Wanted" notice in the list.  If we ever finish our new
TigersUnited site design, it will have ads for buy/sell/want/

--
Steve Laifman        < Find out what is most    >
B9472289              < important in your life     >

                          _/
                     _/_/_/