Re: Hitting Flies

To: CoolVT@aol.com
Subject: Re: Hitting Flies
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2001 21:15:54 -0400
At 11:09 PM 8/31/2001 EDT, you wrote:
>  A recent new article here stated that an average car traveling at 65 miles
>per hour hitting a common fly traveling at 1 MPH will result in the car
>losing 1 millionth of a MPH because of the impact.
>  Now you say what is the big deal?  Well, they said "average" car.  If you
>assume the average car might weigh 3200 pounds just think of what might
>happen to smaller cars like Tigers.
> All kind of possibilities come to mind.  What if the fly is oversized, what
>if you actually hit 15 or 20 on any given trip, what if the fly is flying at
>more than 1 MPH, etc..?
>  I guess you can see that this can be more serious than it would appear at
>first glance.  I don't know about the rest of you, but my little Tiger will
>be staying in the garage until I can be reassured by someone on the list.
>Mark L.

Mark,
        Come on down to Florida, The Love Bugs hang around by the thousands
in the middle of the highway ( attracted to CO2 from the cars).  I grant you
that
they will slow you down, mainly because you cannot see through the glass.
However; if you wait a couple of days before washing them off, then your Tiger
will be even faster due to the loss of the weight of the paint.  The Love Bugs
have juice that eats the paint.  Of course you have to consider air resistance
due to the pock marked paint...
James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others