Where there is smoke there is ####

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Where there is smoke there is ####
From: RGGAMMA@aol.com
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2001 19:34:36 EDT
OK you guys, this is a good one.......

The Tiger is a little hard to start cause flooded it.  So I had to crank the
starter for an extended period of time.  I happened to have the hood open at
the time at I observed smoke with a burning insulation smell coming up from
the right side just in line with the top of the steering wheel.  I right
quick turned off the ignition and went to investigate the source of the smoke.

It was coming from the plastic lining in the throttle cable!!!!!  I took off
the throttle cable and the inner wire was frozen (melted) in the outer
sheath.  The wire itself was very hot and turned blue.  There was no wiring
under the dash even close to the cable or pedal arm.  Nothing in the engine
compartment was touching the cable.
???????????Watzzzzzzzzzup.  Only happens when key is in the start position.
No problems in the run position. Only happens on extended cranking of the
starter circuit.  HELP!!!!

Cheers
Smokn' Gunny