Re: [Fwd: Question for seller -- Item #597203138]

To: Frank Marrone <marrone@wco.com>
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Question for seller -- Item #597203138]
From: Theo Smit <tsmit@home.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 09:39:25 -0700
The only reason I can see to put a reserve price on an auction is if you
really can't afford to sell it for less than the reserve price, and you'd
rather not sell it if the bidding didn't get that far. With the Ebay system
you can also just specify the opening bid, and get the same net effect. The
other reason for setting a reserve is that if it so happened that the bidding
didn't reach the reserve price you always have the option of contacting the
highest bidder afterwards and doing a negotiated deal that way. By publishing
the reserve, you'd possibly attract low-ball bidders that wouldn't bid any
higher than the reserve.
However, my observation is that for any item that's even remotely desirable,
that isn't the way the auctions go. Once the bidding gets started, some kind
of gotta-have-it mentality takes over, and the piece sells for way more than
what you'd pay in a private deal. Not that there's anything wrong with that -
it's part of the price you pay for having these parts accessible in the first
place. If you're a seller, and you really want to move the piece, then your
prime objective is to get the bidding going. Putting restrictions on, such as
a hidden reserve (rather than an opening bid at about 80% of your "must-get"
price), or restricting the shipping to US-only, just serve to limit your
potential market.

Theo