Re: WHY I LOVE BRITISH CARS!

To: Richard Feibusch <rfeibusch@loop.com>
Subject: Re: WHY I LOVE BRITISH CARS!
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@SoCal.RR.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2001 15:26:14 -0800
Rick,

Since I owned a 1952 MG-TD when it was NEW, I can actually answer that question.

With the stock exhaust (and very tiny exhaust pipe) it sounded like
blowing hard through a soda straw. Most went for glass packs, and it
sounded like passing gas in a bath tub. When you backed-off you could
get a nice rap. Actually nice sound with the larger pipes and straight
through muffler. Like a Spridget.

I bought a Pep Boys exhaust cut-out, which clamped on the cut exhaust
pipe and had a cable operated flapper valve to allow a straight through
pipe to be run down the other side. The clamp-on device leaked gas, so I
had to have it welded on. The flapper valve leaked, so you got a fairly
good leakage of gas out the other pipe. I welded a 1 1/2 inch straight
pipe coupling on the end of the tail pipe and screwed a large plug in it.

When I ran it full open, it really made a nice noise, and rapped really
well on a back-off. The cops loved it.

Now, if it would only have performed as well as it sounded. {8-), but
1250 cc and a full 54.5 horsepower was not a powerhouse. We could get
out dragged by the little old lady in her Chevy sedan, and she didn't
even know she was racing.

Our favorite rejoinder was "Wait 'till I get you in the turns". That
part was true, it handled very well, and was easy to recover from over
enthusiastic driving. I used to race it down Sunset Boulevard to the
Beach then back over Topanga Canyon, as well as the length of Mulholland
Drive, which was dirt beyond Sepulveda. Only 2 lanes wide (one for each
direction) and we used the whole road. (Both Topanga and Mulholland).
Traffic was much kinder on us in the 50's.  Only a few I knew slid over
the edge.

Ended up with a Studebaker 6 and overdrive at the end. Real sleeper.
Then I bought the new '54 Jag XK 120 roadster and found out what I was
missing.  Still loved them all. Story in my article (under Articles) in
http://www.TigersUnited.com

--
Steve Laifman
(http://www.TigersUnited.com/gallery/stevelaifman.asp)