Explorers - no Tiger Content.

To: <Tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Explorers - no Tiger Content.
From: "Stu Brennan" <stubrennan@mediaone.net>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 13:49:36 -0500
I just replaced my Cherokee with a '98 Explorer.  The Tires are Uniroyal Tiger
Paws, P235/75R15.  The door sticker says 26 psi front and rear, unchanged from
the pre-Firestone settings.  I recall that Ford at some point recommended
higher pressures, but in a recent email, they reaffirmed the sticker pressures
for these tires.  Uniroyal responded that  they let the manufacturers set the
pressures.

I tried mine at 33 psi, and the handling was really twitchy. Perhaps this is
what they were trying to cover up with the low pressures?  They are at 29 now,
and it feels more stable.   26 seems like it is just too low for that much
weight.

Some of you folks must own Explorers.  What is your experience?

Stu