RE: Explorers - no Tiger Content.

To: "'tigers@autox.team.net'" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Explorers - no Tiger Content.
From: "Gary Pointer" <Gary.Pointer@telus.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 12:08:15 -0700
Important issue.  With due respect to the experience and insight available
from the list members, I strongly suggest you seek an opinion directly from
someone who does tires for a living.  They should be familiar with the known
aspects of the Explorer/tire issue.  If not, find a different tire person.
Best bet for you might be a Uniroyal dealer.  If none, call Uniroyal
directly.  I bought a used Explorer one year ago, amid great concern over
the tire issue.  I received very plausible information from the manager of
the local tire shop that replaced the recalled ones.  I also found the
internet to be of assistance in validating what the tire shop said.  I
arrived at a PSI I was comfortable with, after becoming informed of the
issues/trade-offs.

>From: "Stu Brennan" <stubrennan@mediaone.net>
>Subject: Explorers - no Tiger Content.

>I just replaced my Cherokee with a '98 Explorer.  The Tires are Uniroyal
Tiger
>Paws, P235/75R15.  The door sticker says 26 psi front and rear, unchanged
from
>the pre-Firestone settings.  I recall that Ford at some point recommended
>higher pressures, but in a recent email, they reaffirmed the sticker
pressures
>for these tires.  Uniroyal responded that  they let the manufacturers set
the
>pressures.

>I tried mine at 33 psi, and the handling was really twitchy. Perhaps this
is
what they were trying to cover up with the low pressures?  They are at 29
now,
and it feels more stable.   26 seems like it is just too low for that much
weight.

Some of you folks must own Explorers.  What is your experience?

Stu