FlowKooler Water Pumps

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: FlowKooler Water Pumps
From: Packertl3@aol.com
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 20:16:42 EST
    FlowKooler was mentioned on the list recently. They claim their pumps
produce a 100% increase in flow at idle (8-10 gal/min vs. 4-5) and a 20%
increase at 2000 rpm, yet allow flow to drop back to stock by 3500 rpm.
These claims were intriguing and FlowKooler is local to me so I stopped in.
They seem to be a legitimate, successful operation. They are actually an
offshoot of the parent company, Brassworks, which manufactures specialized
radiators and stone guards for early Fords (T's and A's), airplanes, fire
engines or any other custom application.
    FlowKooler caters primarily to the street rod crowd. They buy standard,
fully assembled water pumps and modify the impellers on all units. The models
they call MiraKool get a 16 blade impeller in place of the stock 8 blade. A
MiraKool pump is available for 6 bolt 289's and newer engines. Their pump for
260's and 5 bolt 289's retains the stock blade count but they add a plate to
the open blades which helps entrap more water at low rpm. They claim to have
independent tests from Cal Poly and a dyno shop to substantiate their
products' benefits. They also claim that GM has published a service bulletin
which recommends FlowKooler pumps for 454's that run hot. I am not currently
in the market for a water pump but would like to hear from anyone who has
experience with a FlowKooler product. Suggested price for the 260/289 pump is
about $95. For further information they can be reached at 805-544-8841 or
www.flowkooler.com.