Re: VIN plate removal

To: "Doug & Rett Leithauser" <dleit@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: VIN plate removal
From: Marc James Small <msmall@infi.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 19:07:36 -0500
At 12:49 PM 3/16/02 -0500, Doug & Rett Leithauser wrote:
>Back before I knew better ( and I can't even blame it on being young &
>foolish) I removed the ID plated from my tiger during restoration, or
>perhaps resurection. Since then I have not only been informed by the Tiger
>List that I did something stupid, I have also been informed by the Michigan
>secretary of State office that removing the VIN plate from a vehicle, then
>reinstalling it is illegal, regardless of the reason for the removal.
>Technically I should get a state issued vin sticker, but so far I am getting
>by with non original rivets. The idea of a cowl panel swap really shows just
>what a gray area it is when you ask how much sheet metal can be replaced. At
>least the rivets would be original.

Well, you are actually grandfathered, as your car predates the very
existence of VIN's.  Your car has a serial number and a data plate.  You
would have to check the Michigan laws in effect in 1965 or '66, but I
strongly suspect that there was nothing there limiting you from removing a
data plate so long as there was no fraudulent intent.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +276/343-7315
Cha robh b`s fir gun ghr`s fir!