VIN plate removal

To: <tsmit@shaw.ca>, <RussE@Firstva.com>
Subject: VIN plate removal
From: "Doug & Rett Leithauser" <dleit@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 12:49:12 -0500
Back before I knew better ( and I can't even blame it on being young &
foolish) I removed the ID plated from my tiger during restoration, or
perhaps resurection. Since then I have not only been informed by the Tiger
List that I did something stupid, I have also been informed by the Michigan
secretary of State office that removing the VIN plate from a vehicle, then
reinstalling it is illegal, regardless of the reason for the removal.
Technically I should get a state issued vin sticker, but so far I am getting
by with non original rivets. The idea of a cowl panel swap really shows just
what a gray area it is when you ask how much sheet metal can be replaced. At
least the rivets would be original.

Doug Leithauser

and technically any of
these vehicles where non-OEM rivets are holding the plate on, are possibly
the
victim of an ID swap. Usually there is enough circumstantial evidence (body
finish
techniques and details in the stampings, hole locations etc.) to pinpoint
roughly
the time of its production, which can help to substantiate a car's ID. But
if a
Tiger or Alpine showed up with original rivets but with an obvious cowl
replacement or patch repair, such a vehicle would be equally (or more)
suspected
of being a fraud.