Re: WATTS linkage

To: Rich Atherton <aka.gumby@gte.net>
Subject: Re: WATTS linkage
From: Craig Wright <cwright@pdghightower.com>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 16:00:09 -0700
Carrol Smith covers Watts linkages in his book "Engineer to Win". (A
great book) The Watts linkage will allow close to purely vertical motion
and eliminate the side to side motion, this is over a short range and
the bars have to be set up correctly. An additional advantage is that
you can control where the roll center is for the rear suspension. With
just a rear axle the roll center is the center of the pumpkin. With a
Panard bar the roll center moves from side to side depending on the
direction of the turn, and is located at the pivot of the rod. (Right
pivot for left turn and left pivot for right turn, I think) For the
Watts linkage to work at its best they are normally set up with the
outboard ends of the rods attached to the axle and the bell crank
attached to the frame, which means some structure needs to be built that
will support the bell crank. The roll center becomes the center pivot of
the bell crank. That is how you can change the roll center, by moving
the bell crank up and down.

I use this system on my GT350 race car. I'm not sure if it is really
worth the extra effort over a panard rod.

Craig Wright