Re: Value of Tiger in the Midwest

To: "Tiger's Den" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Value of Tiger in the Midwest
From: "Chris Hill" <Pirouette@uisreno.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 02:47:50 -0700
Andy,
    I don't want to seem nasty, but you're not being realistic.  I brought my
well loved (and cared for) Healey 3000 out to Huntington Beach from Pa. and
watched it dissolve in the summer sun.  I bought my first Tiger out of
McAllen, Texas (near Brownsville, on the Gulf coast) and I got REALLY
thoroughly into that car from underneath.  It sits waiting for someone who
cares that much.  The guy who owns the (very professional) restoration shop
that did my buddy's super nice Tiger is from the Philippines.  He described
what salt air and road splash will do to even modern cars over there in a
short time (not pretty!).  Ask Chris about his Hawaiian Tiger.
    Salt corrosion is chemistry, pure and simple.  A REALLY well cared for and
protected car from the Midwest might be worth as much as a So. Ca. car, but
how many people can truly document that sort of thing back to the mid '60's.
Wariness of salt belt cars is not peculiar to Tigers, nor is allowing for
problems then reflected in the bid price unique to them either.

               Chris Hill