RE: Subject: Re: Ignition Warning Light on with new alternator

To: "'Steve Laifman'" <SLaifman@SoCal.rr.com>
Subject: RE: Subject: Re: Ignition Warning Light on with new alternator
From: "Frank Marrone" <itswonderful@attbi.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 08:32:23 -0700
No, actually there is a GM 1-wire alternator.  It has the connection
between the alternator B+ and the "F" terminal internal to the
alternator, called self-exciting.  It has no "R" terminal.  Actually it
may have both an "F" and "R" terminal but they are not connected.  Three
wire units can be converted to one wire units by swapping the solid
state regulator module in the alternator.

After sleeping on it I see a possibility for hooking up an idiot light
on a true 1-wire alternator, look here;

 http://home.attbi.com/~itswonderful/images/lite.jpg

I don't like it because the diode in the charging path would be a
reliability concern, it would definitely need a heat sink.  Also, this
would only detect total (or nearly total) failures of the alternator and
weak alternators could go undetected.  Also also, the ignition switch
would not be up to the full charging current and a relay would be needed
there.

I may have been a bit conservative on my diodes voltage rating but then
maybe not.

Frank
B9471116 (3-wire alternator with an amp gauge)