Re: Front cover interchange

To: Frank Marrone <itswonderful@attbi.com>
Subject: Re: Front cover interchange
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@SoCal.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 15:45:03 -0700
Frank,

Too many varied opinions.

1) You can modify a newer cover to take the old dipstick.
2) You cannot use the aluminum water pump with the serpentine belt set.
3) You need to pay attention to engine balance and pulleys.  If you want
to maintain the original generator/alternator, not have issues with the
fan blade distance to the radiator, you will find the bottom pulley has
3 holes, not 4, the matching dynamic balancer is the wrong weight
correction (as well as the flywheel and starter) which need attention.
 You CAN get replacement pulleys with 4 bolt mounts and the offset of
the original. Same for the dynamic balancer. They are not cheap.  Mods,
like cutting off the extra Sheave on a later 4 bolt that has the first
sheave in the correct spot has been done.

Bottom line. You can get your 5 L in (with reservations on how you
handle thicker aluminum heads and aluminum TIGER valve cover splash
shield holes for roller rockers). It has been done.  Unfortunately the
articles describing all that good stuff are down until we get the TU.com
back on line.

Steve

--

Steve Laifman