Missing Water and Rough Idle

Subject: Missing Water and Rough Idle
From: ssage@socal.rr.com
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 12:41:36 -0800
Hello Sunbeamers:
I'd appreciate advice on two questions:

1. The Tiger runs  pretty rough when first started in the morning when
it's dead cold. It starts up perfectly, no problem there, and idles on
the Holley's automatic choke as it's supposed to (although a bit rough),
but when I take off, it runs rough (stumbles a bit...it seems like there
might be some mis-firing going on), until it reaches full running
temperature and above (170 degrees and above), at which point it runs
and accelerates perfectly smoothly. What is most likely to cause this?
Spark plugs?

2. My Tiger is thirsty, but does not seem to be spitting coolant out its
top, as far as I can see. I was suspicious of the heater core, as I can
sometimes get a whiff of coolant smell in the passenger compartment. I
took the core out and had it pressure tested (to 25 lbs) and the
radiator shop said it's not leaking!!!?? (I'm still suspicious since
where else would that smell likely come from?). I also thought I had
found a problem at that thin pipe that comes out of the radiator top
(where you connect the hose to the header tank). It seemed there was
come corrosion there, but I cleaned it a week ago and have not seen any
coolant since. There's no evidence of a leak out the bottom, again, as
far as I can see, and all the hoses seem OK Anywhere else I should look
in the engine compartment? I have been adding water almost every day
(about 1 to 1 1/2 bottles worth of water from the Tudor windshield
washer bottle).

There's occassionally (especially in colder weather) some white smoke
and a bit of water (condensation?) out the pipes (not a lot) when I
first start in the morning, but never any later in the day or when it's
warm.

Jane and I are very sorry about Laura's passing.

Thanks.
Steve Sage