Retaining original Calif. plates

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Retaining original Calif. plates
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2002 19:00:00 -0800
Has any Calif. Tiger owner who's car was not registered for years (likely more
than 7 years) been able to re-register the car with the original Calif.
plates? I have a 1973 Datsun 510 that was given to me by the original owner
and had not been registered since 1982. A few months ago while registering the
woman at the DMV started to give me new plates. I expressed my desire to keep
the original blue and gold/yellow plates and filled out a bunch of paperwork
(regarding condition, etc.) to do so. A few days ago the registration tags
arrived, but unfortunately with new plates too. There was no explanation
saying that my request was denied. Knowing how the DMV works (or doesn't) I am
curious if I have any recourse to retain the original plates. Has anyone
encountered this struggle. Thanks if you can give me any insight. Tom Witt
B9470101