Re: oil filter adapter

To: "Tiger List" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: oil filter adapter
From: "Andy Walker" <awtiger@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 23:19:28 -0600
Jim:

My Tiger has the 90 degree oil filter adapter but it is not the Motorsport
piece.  I believe there was a tech tip on this in an old edition of CAT Tech
Tips years and years ago.  If memory serves, the adapter and it's related
pieces are from a 6 cylinder Ford Econoline van.  I don't remember the
particulars, such as engine size or year of van.  However, having installed
two of these set-ups on a couple of my previous Tigers, I do remember what
parts you need.  Along with the adapter itself, you will need the threaded
nipple that screws into the block.  You will also need the bolt that goes
through the top of the adapter and tightens it against the block.  There are
also two gaskets; one between the adapter and the block (Ford part
#C5AZ-6840-A) and one that goes under the head of the bolt to seal that off
(Ford part #EAA-6749-A).  Sorry that I don't have the part numbers for the
other parts but, hopefully, those part numbers will give your Ford parts man
a clue as to where to start looking for the adapter and it's other pieces.
When it is all installed, it uses a Taurus oil filter (FL-400S) which fits
very nicely between the front crossmember and the driver's side of the oil
pan.

I'm pretty much of a purist when it comes to Tigers but this is the one and
only major modification that I have made to my car.  It is not in the least
bit messy when it comes to oil change time, unlike the factory set-up.  I
highly recommend it.

Good luck,
Andy Walker
B382001600LRXFE