Re: oil filter adapter

To: "Tiger List" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: oil filter adapter
From: "Andy Walker" <awtiger@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 19:39:18 -0600
John:

The Econoline oil filter adapter is a 90 degree unit.  Therefore, since the
oil filter mount on a 260/289 is on the slanted side of the block, this means
that you must angle the adaptor rearwards just a bit for the FL-400S to clear
the oil pan and the crossmember.  I must also point out that, although there
have been many people state that they believe this set-up won't work with
headers, I had this exact set-up on my first Tiger, B9470058, as well as a set
of "Canon" brand headers.  It was close but it did fit.  I think the filter we
ran back then was an FL-13 for a Pinto engine.  I can't speak for any other
type of headers, however.

As for filter dimensions, yes, the FL-400S is smaller in diameter than the
FL-1A.  While it is true that the FL-1A has more filter area than the FL-400S,
the latter will do a sufficient job.  After all, these cars are typically not
used as daily drivers anymore and receive much more TLC than the manufacturer
ever thought they would.  Oil changes are frequent enough in our cars to
counteract any problems in running a smaller oil filter, assuming you are
using your car under normal street use conditions.  I've not ever had a
problem of any kind with it over the many years that I've run one.

Hope this info is of interest,
Andy Walker
B382001600LRXFE