Re: alger

To: SBtigerVince@aol.com
Subject: Re: alger
From: sosnaenergyconsulting <sosnaenergyconsulting@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 19:54:19 -0800
Hi Vince:
Sounds like Vic Hughes and Theo covered it pretty well.  Just wanted to
add a couple of thoughts:

If you go with a 2.8 V-6 swap you won't have the 'grunt' that a Tiger
has, but it's a lot simpler.  It's not easy, just easier.  I did this
with Smitty's help about 2 or 3 years ago and I'd still have the car if
there was room in the garage for both it and the Tiger.

Anyway, you don't have to do major modifications to the crossmember, you
can use the stock Alpine steering (which solves a number of Ackerman
related problems that Tigers have--though there are fixes), you can
turbocharge the V-6 as Joe Rodriguez did and you'll get 300-350 h.p., as
he did (there's the Tiger 'grunt'), and you can use the stock rear axle.
  Joe kept his stock axle about 5 years AFTER turbocharging the motor
(he was running a 5 speed) and says he finally broke the axle doing a
burnout at a local dragstrip.  I kept my rear axle because I used a
4-speed automatic trans, which offered some driveline 'shock'
protection.  Not the "manly" thing to do perhaps, but it was nice in
traffic, a blast to drive and that V-6 nestled right into the engine
compartment.  It DID disappoint people at the local cruise nights who at
first glance thought I had a V-8 under the hood.

Or, you can look for a good V-6 conversion out there that someone else
has already put their blood, sweat and tears into and modify the heck
out of THAT!

If, after the feedback you've gotten you MUST have an alger, I applaud
your do-it-yourself spirit and wish you the best.

Regards

David Sosna