Re: Cooling Problems

To: "wgegg" <wrgegg@attbi.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Cooling Problems
From: "Kathy and Erich Coiner" <kathy.coiner@gte.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 19:28:19 -0800
I have fought a battle with cooling my tiger the past year.  I think I am
winning but not ready to declare victory until I take it out in triple digit
weather.
I blocked off the horn holes and made the sheet metal mods per Steve
Laifman's "Cool it Buddy" article on TU.  I bought a 3 row radiator from Rob
Guerra on this list.
I could feel hot air recirculating around the front valance at idle so I
stuffed a length of foam pipe insulation between the radiator and the cross
member. No more warm air recirculation.
I installed the Derale 17015 fan that is mentioned in the Tigers
East/Alpines East website article.  All of this helped but I still had a
problem.
I finally figured out I had a bad head gasket and I was pressurizing the
radiator with exhaust gasses.  This would push water out and lead to
overheating.

I added a 1 quart overflow bottle.  Now when I drive the car and then let it
cool back down the stock metal reservoir is full clear to the brim with
coolant.

The car will run at 180 to 190 in traffic with temps in the low 80's, but it
runs at 200 F on freeway at 75 mph.  The faster I drive the warmer it runs.
When summer gets here I will find out if I really have enough margin or not.

Erich