RE: Subject: 289/302 Conversions - My own biased opinion

To: "'Doug & Rett Leithauser'" <dleit@worldnet.att.net>,
Subject: RE: Subject: 289/302 Conversions - My own biased opinion
From: "Scott Hutchinson" <shutchin@netjets.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2003 09:43:56 -0500
Right now the 260 is sitting on the floor of my garage, the result of a
bad throwout bearing.  It is amazing that such a tiny little part can be
the cause of so much work.  Any way while the motor is out I am going to
try some minor work to the motor to improve performance, but more
importantly to increase durability and efficiency.

The plans are thus.

1.  Screw in rocker studs.
2.  New valve seats for unleaded gas.
3.  Bronze valve guides.
4.  Roller rockers. (Probably CompCams Magnums, maybe promagnums but
most            people have said this would be over kill.
5.  Custom Ground roller camshaft that is basically a reproduction of
the     289 hp cam.  It will have the same firing order as the 260 and
should  provide a nice hp boost without killing the low end torque.
CompCams        will custom grind it for about $300.
6.  Crane drop in roller lifters.  (no modification to the block
required.)
7.  F4B and Holley 1848.
8.  Centerforce Clutch.
9.  Roller Timing Chain

I am quite happy with the performance of the car with the 260.  I seems
to me the real limitation of the Tiger is traction.  Even if you put 400
hp out of the tailshaft, you just can't get it to the ground without
doing some major mods to the bodywork.  Who knows though, I've only had
the car for a year, so maybe in a few I'll get bored and throw a blown,
347 stroker in there, backed up by a Richardson 6 speed,  I mean if your
gonna go for gears why not have a few more than four.

I should have it all back together by the end of the month so I'll let
you know how it comes out.

Scott