Re: Subject: 289/302 Conversions - My own biased opinion

To: Scott Hutchinson <shutchin@netjets.com>
Subject: Re: Subject: 289/302 Conversions - My own biased opinion
From: Craig Wright <cwright@pdghightower.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2003 15:58:48 -0700
Hi Scott,

Your plans sound good except I would worry about a roller cam on the
street. Many knowledgeable people that I have spoken with said that they
die quick deaths if they spend much time idling. If you are going to use
the same profile as the original 289 hp you won't gain any HP by using
roller lifters. You can get a lot of HP out of a solid flat tappet cam
and still keep it streetable with a long life. I suggest you do some
homework before committing to a roller and make sure that it is what you
want. I've got a 289 with flat tappet cam, '69 Ford Windsor heads, and
it cranks out 425 hp at 7500 rpm [although it is a little high strung
for the street ;) ]

Craig Wright