Re: Hydraulic fluids - getting your DOTs lined up.

To: Gary Moore <arado7@peoplepc.com>
Subject: Re: Hydraulic fluids - getting your DOTs lined up.
From: Theo Smit <tsmit@shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2003 21:43:14 -0600
Gary,
Since nothing that I or the Bel-Ray FAQ states disagrees with your experience,
information, or opinions as expressed on the list, why do you call it
"disinformation"?

I own two sets of Hope disc brakes for my mountain bikes, and Hope specs DOT
5.1, non-silicone, hydraulic fluid. Since that's harder to get than plutonium on
this side of the Atlantic, I used Hayes DOT 4 instead.

I agree that silicone fluid gives reduced maintenance in a properly flushed
hydraulic system, where 'properly flushed' implies complete disassembly and
rebuilding of all the brake system components. However, as Larry Paulick says,
flushing the brake system every two years is recommended when using glycol based
fluid. How much time do we spend doing other stuff on a Tiger over two years?
The hour or two that it takes to flush new fluid into a brake system is pretty
minor compared to some of the other 'routine' maintenance.

Best regards,
Theo