Re: Oil Filter Adapter

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Oil Filter Adapter
From: "Theodore V. Brown" <tbrown@midcoast.com>
Date: Fri, 09 May 2003 19:02:17 -0400
Hello All:
Since I was the source of all the discussion regarding the oil filter
adapter, I
would like to thank all those who replied to me off the list and helped to
clear
up my confusion.  Mark L. (CoolVT) has provided the best explanation regarding
the "missing gasket" by pointing out that there are at least two adapters
that
have been released by Ford over the years, one which requires the gasket and
one which does not. I got my adapter second-hand and it came without any
gaskets whatsoever, so I don't know what was provided by Ford originally with
mine.  My local Ford dealer informs me that the gasket that I was trying to
locate was discontinued in December, 2001, implying that it is not needed
with the 6880A50 adapter which Ford continues to sell. He also did a search
and found about a dozen dealers in the Northeast who still have one or more
in stock, so it is possible that one could find one at the local friendly
dealer.
Since the adapter I have is the one with an O-ring, I will go ahead and
install
it and see what happens.  Hopefully, everything will be fine as long as I
don't
launch below freezing ;>).
Tod
B382002384LRXFE