Re: pertronix coil

To: "Jim Boynton" <jimboynton@attbi.com>
Subject: Re: pertronix coil
From: Tom Hall <modtiger@attbi.com>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 21:25:32 -0700
At 12:18 PM 5/23/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>  I installed Pertronix Coil this weekend and it doesn't seem to like my
>stock Tach or is it the Tach doesn't like the coil. Anyway I figured I match
>the Ignitor installed last summer but now the Tach goes crazy at times.
>   It idles fine and generally reads correctly at lower speeds. It also
>appears to function correctly through the gear shifts but often at around 60
>or faster it tends(Tach) to bounce around. Anyone have any ideas?
>
>Jim

         It's amazing!  When Gary Winblad invented this capacitance
coupling to the OEM electronics mentioned in the Tech Tip I wrote several
years ago, everyone was happy.  Problem is that the capacitance coupling
only worked for a couple of years at best and then something else in the
OEM electronics decided that it didn't like this modified input any more
and essentially all capacitance modification Tachometers started
quitting.  We saw this phenomenon before SUNI III in Montana and set a plan
in motion at that meet to develop a "new" electronics board to replace the
"old OEM electronics".  Well, it took us, (mostly Theo Smit and Gary
Winblad) until 2003 to get the new electronics into full production.

         You have to understand that some of the owners are still running
around with points, dual points and Pertronics,  The rest of the community
has gone to modern ignition systems predominantly MSD, but some nuts are
still using strange systems like Jacobs, or other less common
systems.  It's taken the time since SUNI to try all the various
combinations, push the data to determine exactly what the "real signal" is,
and develop a new board that resolves all of the known problems.

         Yes, you can buy a modern Tachometer with all the bells and
whistles, but it simply doesn't look like the original Tach and it won't
work with the original ignition system without some adaptation.  As far as
I know, we've tested the new board with all common configurations with
positive results.

         Theo is in full production and I have about 9 more boards, ready
to install, in stock.  These boards replace 100% of the OEM electronics,
and they work with all known ignition systems.  They can be used with the
current triggers like the OEM points and Pertronics, or they can be
connected to the square wave (this is an inside developers joke, and the
reason it took 4 years to solve the problems) Tachometer output from any
modern ignition system such as an MSD.  As long as the "meter" portion of
your tachometer is functioning correctly, the new electronics board will
make it read reasonably accurately.   We haven't found an ignition system
that doesn't work at this point, but we can give you money back satisfaction.

         If you're interested, please e-mail Theo (he's in Canada) at "Theo
Smit"  <theo.smit@dynastream.com>, me,  " Tom Hall" <modtiger@attbi.com>,
or  "Gary Winblad" <garywinblad@attbi.com>.  We have several satisfied
customers in the field at this point and are just beginning to market this
new development.  I will have boards available at Tigers United next month,
if you'd like to do it yourself, or you can contact one of us to do the
installation including calibration.  We haven't had time to develop a
marketing program at this point so please forgive the commercial intrusion

Tom Hall