Re: "Original Rivets" Thread - $.02

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: "Original Rivets" Thread - $.02
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 15:10:19 -0700
  Hummm.... . I am not trying to dispute either part, but will report what I
have. Both the VIN plate and the larger spec plate are heavily oxidized, so
are the (same) attaching rivets (you can't read ANYTHING on the larger spec
plate - most of the VIN plate has been polished out).  The car has been
resprayed what appears to be three times (same color - black). A quick
scratch near the plates seemed to indicate only a single original color then
the redish/dark pink Rootes primer. There is some minor over spray (likely
what blew under the hood) on both plates indicating that with at least one
of the two paintings they were not removed (if ever).
  What I find most interesting is that the rivets I have(crowned top)
appear to be smaller than the standard Rootes rivet, yet on neither plate
can I find ANY indication (as in indentation, grooves) that a larger rivet
had been previously installed, or drilled out (often they spin). Could the
rivets have been replace so long ago that the oxidation is explainable?
Sure, but the lack of any larger rivet ever being present still has me
guessing. Also four of the six rivets do not allow a wire to go through the
center hole, but two do. It may be much a'do about noth-in, but for me I
ponder.
Tom Witt B9470101