Re: Cooling System Acid Test

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Cooling System Acid Test
From: VegasLegal@aol.com
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 14:50:01 -0400
Just some thoughts on the repeated writings that where people are claiming that
slowing down the flow or stopping the flow would not improve cooling.  Me
thinks they protesteth too loudly. The first question that comes to mind is,
Then what the heck is a thermostat for?  The second, and I've done this, is
pull the thermostat, idle the car with a closed system, and watch what happens
to the temperature.  Zoom zoom.  Lastly, and I've done this too, run constant
cold water through the system as a flush while running with a full bypass of
the radiator.  The car stays a constant cool.

The intermittent cooler influx of the water from the radiator, rather than
constant flow, does provide cooler running.

Concerning my car, I haven't seen the problems spoken of since I put in a 3
core radiator fused to the original tanks, and added the Maverick fan.  The car
was out in stop and go traffic this summer, and spiked and leveled at 199.
Driving was at 172, and it was 113 degrees outside.

The car was originally parked seventeen years ago because the owner could not
keep it cool.  With a good radiator shop, I discovered that corrosion at the
fins on the outside had seperated many of the fins from the tubes in the
radiator, and the cooling fins were thusly bypassed.  This was a hidden
problem, and might be affecting others with cooling problems.

Bob Nersesian
B382000975