Re: Trailer Recommendations

To: kathy.coiner@gte.net
Subject: Re: Trailer Recommendations
From: Clifford O Morgan <comorgan@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 22:03:55 -0600
After hauling cars, boats, hay, etc. here's my thoughts.  An inexpensive
flat bed 14 - 16 foot dual axel works well (under $1500).  Electric
brakes are a good idea but not absolutely necessary depending upon what
you are pulling with.  Given a preference, I'd have the electric brakes.
I haul my corvette in a 16 foot flatbed with rails without brakes, but I
would rather not have the rails and have brakes.  An important
consideration is the length of the ramps.  Most ramps sold by trailer
supply companies are too short (5') for car like a Tiger.  The length of
the ramps depends upon the height of the trailer and the height of you
car.  I had 7' ramps made (any longer gets too heavy) , and I raise the
end of the ramps (opposite trailer) with several 2 X 12 boards (to lift
ramp as well as to provide a step for the front tires as they approach
the ramps).  You can also lower the rear of the trailer by raising the
height of the front of the trailer and/or the ball on the hitch.  All of
this is necessary for a very low car   An other important consideration
is the method of holding the car down on the trailer.  It's helpful to
get hooks which hang from the frame and provide an attachment for straps
or chains.  These hooks are available from hauling supply companies.  I
think I got mine from AW hauling supply (on the web).  I use a strap for
each corner of the car.  Don't pull a car on an open trailer with a
cover.

Cliff
comorgan@juno.com