RE: Refinishing Tiger Air Cleaner

To: "'Todd Gifford'" <tgifford@dee-inc.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Refinishing Tiger Air Cleaner
From: "ron fraser" <rfraser@bluefrog.biz>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 19:35:30 -0400
Todd
        If there is a good section of paint on the air cleaner, 1st take a
picture of it for later reference.

You can use liquid strip of your chose or sandblast the pieces.
I sandblasted my air cleaner parts myself.

You don't have to use primer but I would recommend either a self-etching
gray primer or some regular gray primer.   Both can be found at an auto
paint supplier or Eastwood's.   Make sure the parts are good and clean
before applying any paint, use a Prep-Sol type product.

Hammerite is the paint I used.

I highly recommend that you experiment with painting the hammertone paint on
another panel.   Hammertone will create different patterns at different
temperatures.   I believe the part needs to be around 80 degrees F to give
the proper pattern and keep the parts warm while it dries.
That is why you need that picture of the original part to compare the
pattern.

Ron Fraser