Re: Red Rubber Grease (HELP)

To: "Alpine List" <alpines@autox.team.net>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Red Rubber Grease (HELP)
From: "Rich Atherton" <aka.gumby@gte.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 10:30:24 -0700
    Hey Gang..  I know this is from last month but felt I needed to toss in
my 18 cents worth...You know inflation and all.

    When I still had my Alpine, I rebuilt all of the brakes on the car up to
and including the booster.  I have done this on my dad's Jag as well.  The
instructions I had at that time (late 70's when the car was just a little
more than 10 years old...) stated that all rubber parts were to be soaked in
in a clean container with enough Castrol GTLMA fluid to completely cover all
of the parts...Each part being rebuilt was to be cleaned thoroughly (of
course) and lubricated just prior to assembly with the same fluid.  There
was no grease mentioned anywhere where it came in contact with brake fluid.
The only grease, and yes it was red, was for the lubrication of the leather
seal of the Vacuum Brake booster's internal diaphragm, as it never comes in
contact with the brakes fluid.....Assuming the seals for the booster push
rod are in good condition....  We all know what the white puffs of smoke are
from when it goes bad. :-)

    I did this procedure on my 65 Alpine. 65 Imp, and my dad's 64 XKE.
Brakes, and Hydraulic clutch systems never failed or had problems.  As I
said , those were the instruction that came in the girling rebuild kits I
got from BAP (British Auto Parts... later merged with another company and
became BAP/GEON. )  I'm not sure if they are around anymore.  They were THE
source for lots of OEM stuff.....way back when..

Rich
Beamless in Seattle