289 Question

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: 289 Question
From: Jay Peterson <sfm081@rain.org>
Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2003 19:58:03 -0800
While I do not have my Tiger any longer, I am still working on a
Bristish Hybrid w/ a 289 and I have a question for those with more SBF
knowledge than I. The project has been underway for approx 8 years
between the previous owner and myself and today I started the rebuilt
engine (PO owner purchase) in it for the first time. While it ran fine
for the 10 secs I had it running, I shut it down when I noticed I had no
oil pressure. Further investigation showed there was water in the oil
pressure gauge line but no oil. I disconnected the oil gauge line at the
block and turned the engine over and had a stream of water coming out of
the hole. My intial thoughts were a cracked block, but there is no oil
in the water stream and no water in the oil. The engine is a 5 bolt 289
that was supposedly built fairly consertively (ie around 220HP) and
sounded pretty good while it ran. Anyone with any thoughts on what to
check? Are the timing chain covers different enough that it could some
how be routing water to an incorrect location? The fact there seems to
be no co-mingling of oil and water has me stumped.
TIA,
Jay Peterson