RE: Engine block numbers

To: "'Steve'" <tiger.tail7@verizon.net>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Engine block numbers
From: "Bob Palmer" <rpalmer@ucsd.edu>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 22:50:12 -0800
Steve,

If you look more closely, I'm sure you will see it's 6015, not 8015, and
it's nominally a 289 block made in the Windsor Ontario plant. Later in the
'68 production run, they ran out of your casting and started substituting
302 (C8AE-6015-B) blocks and even older C6AE-6015-C blocks. So one could
easily believe they have a 302 from the casting number, when in fact they
have a 289 - but not the other way around. The crank is really what
determines whether it's 289 or 302; the 289 crank is marked '1M' and the 302
is marked '2M'. Of course, the pistons, connecting rods, etc. are different
too, but it's the crank that determines the displacement. I get all this
from Bob Mannel's book Mustang & Ford Small Block V8, the most comprehensive
and accurate source for this kind of information.

Bob