Re: test

To: Dave Munroe <dave@munroe.ca>
Subject: Re: test
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 21:57:29 -0700
Regarding brake light switches.

I had the occasion to replace the brake light switch mechanism on a
previous car. The switch is held on a bracket, and contacts the inside
surface of the suspended pedal, below the pivot.  When the brake pedal
is not depressed, the pedal arm presses and holds the switch open,
against the internal switch spring pressure that wants to keep it
"normally closed".

The instant the brake pedal is depressed, the arm rotates forward on the
upper pivot, and the pressure is taken off of the switch.  The unloaded
switch returns to it's normal position, closing the contacts, and
lighting the brakes.

This is far superior to an older technique of trying to adjust a switch
position that comes "ON" with pressure.

I am sure that most conversions, and current cars, are made this way,
however previous posts were not very explicit on this subject.

Good Luck,

Steve

--
-----