RE: Tiger Tragedy Tonight...

To: "'Paul R. Breuhan'" <prbreuhan@hotmail.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Tiger Tragedy Tonight...
From: "J Sylvester" <jsylvester3136@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 08:54:05 -0500
I am so sorry.  I owned a Tiger several years ago and sold it <sigh> just
before the prices started going up a few years ago.  I still enjoy shadowing
the list while I complete the restoration on my '68 Datsun 2000 roadster
(you guys are all car guys....I'm sure some of you know about the 2ltr
Datsun.  Same objective as the Tiger: Speed!  Different strategy: light,
high compression 2 liter engine with dual Solex carbs, 5 speeds).

Anyway, Paul, I hope you don't mind if I offer a condolence with a different
perspective. I know there doesn't seem to be a silver lining to this dark
cloud, but from your post, I inferred your Tiger was uninsured.  So,
although you lost a beautiful car, if the car was without liability coverage
as well as  comprehensive/collision coverages, hitting another car and/or
injuring someone would have been truly catastrophic rather than a mere
setback.

As an "insurance guy" I see people every day whose lives are ruined after an
uninsured/underinsured loss.  Even before the involvement of an ambulance
chasing lawyer, in the blink of an eye, an accident can leave you
responsible to someone else for hundreds of thousands of dollars.

I know insurance is a pain and quite expensive - but it's expensive because
the folks who have insurance call on the coverages so frequently to shield
them from their unfortunate accidents.

My professional advice?  Liability limits of 100/300 with a reputable
carrier and a personal liability policy with a $1million limit.  The cost is
not that much more than a bare bones liability policy.

Paul, again, sorry for your loss.  In the scheme of things, you guys were
lucky, but I know it doesn't feel like that at the moment.