Re: Different clock types

To: bob josten <bobjosten@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Different clock types
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 14:23:00 -0700
Bob,

The owner's of Smiths/Jaeger have a manufacturing presence in both
France and GB.  At one time they were two separate companies, operating
in two separate countries.

Yes, it does look like a typical dash clock, but some have an additional
regulator time adjust slot, as shown in the previously referenced brochure.
http://www.tigersunited.com/resources/Dealer_Accessories/RootesDlrAccs.pdf

(low res version)

A great many makes and models of English and French cars use similar
designs, with face, polarity, and internals that differ.

Whatever makes you happy is the right choice for you.  I wanted mine to
look correct, but be reliable and accurate.  Something for which the
originals did not have the best reputation.  I choose a larger scale VDO
clock and had the Smiths face of my original put on.  Fits fine, but has
a high quality quartz movement with excellent reliability and accuracy.
Don't know if VDO is making this unit anymore, but a parts yard may have
them at the right price few model years back.

 If you do not have a correct face, rebuilders of instruments have
correct decals to match most versions that can be put on for a
reasonable charge.

Steve

--
-----