Towing a Tiger

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Towing a Tiger
From: Carmods@aol.com
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 10:02:57 EDT
drmayf

You say, "The reverse counter shaft gear is always in full mesh with the
output main shaft and turns all the time (you get reverse when you slide the
slider gear into mesh with another main shaft gear with the second shift
lever). From what I could see, the reverse shaft and gear are sufficiently
down in the lube to keep things oiled up pretty good."

That is interesting to know about the toploader. That is different from the
     T-5, where the reverse gear is in mesh only when the transmission is in
reverse. When the transmission is in neutral, there are no gears in mesh that
can throw the oil around. In my opinion, a car with a T-5 can be towed short
distances in neutral with the drive shaft in place, but knowing the work
involved in removing, repairing and installing transmissions in Tigers, I
recommend
removing the drive shaft when towing long distances.

After you remove the driveshaft, install another yoke or one of the available
plastic plugs to plug the hole so that you don't have to drain the
transmission. Wire it so that it doesn't slide out.

John Logan